Monday is was pretty dang intense. We came home from work, ate leftover Pizza Hut and went to bed. Yep, I know. You're envious of my life. Tuesday night was when the fun really started. Ashlyn and I had planned to meet in Central London at Leicester Square to get theatre tickets after work. Of course, Ashlyn already works in Central London, but I had to come all the way from Grove Park, back to our home in Brockley, change, grab jeans for Ashlyn and head on the long and winding Tube trip. I like traveling on the Tube by myself only because it gives me time to think and makes me feel like I fit in. Since I have no one to talk to, my American accent is silenced and I can just be another Londoner. Though I never fail to make things awkward and when a lady accidentally hit me with some random object she was carrying (can't remember what it was) I of course had to respond with, "oh no worries, I mean I'm carrying around a pair of blue jeans!" One day this approach will make me friends. One day. Anyways I was extremely late meeting Ashlyn and my phone didn't work underground so I couldn't let her know. Luckily, we were able to score 4th row tickets for Jersey Boys, unluckily the only place we had time to eat dinner was Burger King. Embarrassing, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
So those of you who haven't seen or heard of Jersey Boys are missing out. It's the true story of the rise and fall of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons. They only sing Frankie Valli songs and it's just simply amazing. Probably the best show I've seen on the stage (here in the West End or in America). It also led to endless Frankie Valli songs being played through my computer while getting ready the following mornings. I could go see that show multiple times over.
On Wednesday the boys from the University of Tennessee arrived and I promptly bombarded them in the hallway after the guesthouse owner told me they had arrived. I really should rethink my first impression strategy. After Ashlyn arrived home from work we went to dinner with the boys at the Blackfriars Pub (where we had eaten before). Ashlyn and I love the waiter that we had there the first time and were more than excited to get him again. First he's awesome cause he let me order the closet thing I've seen to a grilled cheese since we've been here (even though it was on the lunch time only menu) and secondly because he has the most amazing accent. When I asked him where his accent is from I was surprised to learn he was originally from South Africa, but has lived in London for about 10 years. Such a good combo of accents. Plus, he looks like he should be in a movie. After leaving dinner we took the boys to see the always breathtaking view of Big Ben, The River Thames and The London Eye at night. The best part about heading there at night is coming above ground from the Tube. If you take the correct exit coming out from the Westminster stop it places you face to face with Big Ben and at night that's just the coolest thing ever. Undeniable. It's the kind of view I will be able to close my eyes and see for years. That memory will probably be my best souvenir of this entire experience.
| The London Eye from across the River Thames |
Thursday night we had the great fortune of getting to go back to Ted and Peggy's for the boys Welcome dinner. It's so nice to be able to mooch Welcome dinners off other people. It was great as usual. It has now become a running joke at Peggy's that I'm an epic snacker. She always has a ton of appetizers for us when we go over there and I'd rather eat them all day then my real dinner. She even pushed the tray over in front of me (she's says it makes her feel good to know someone is enjoying her food).
Friday was the last day of work in the community pharmacy and Ashlyn and I were pretty tired by the end of the day. We had been used to having a more flexible schedule up to this point and since we can not seem to get a really good night's sleep between the hay fever and whatever else is keeping us up we were probably not the most fun people this night. I had forgotten to mention in my previous post that I recieved what I considered to be the upmost compliment. I was told by a friend at the pharmacy that if she didn't know me and just saw me would think I was British. Yay! Assimilation domination. Ashlyn and I had been craving Mexican food (along with peanut butter, biscuits and iced tea); it's just not something you can get easily here. We went to a Tex-Mex style restaurant and it was good, but it just wasn't Mexican like back home. I'm hoping to make that my first back to America meal.
Overall this week really showed that we were becoming more used to our surroundings and less hyperactive about having to do everything RIGHT now. We are without a doubt becoming much more comfortable with living life in London.
No comments:
Post a Comment